Engineering Team Leader
We're looking for a people focused engineer who can lead and motivate a team to deliver engineering activity across our busy site.
What’s it all about?
The core of this role is line managing the engineering shift team, coordinating and prioritising engineering activities, communicating technical information across multiple departments and providing clear leadership whilst ensuring all tasks are completing in a timely manner and to a best-in-class standard. You will also lead and support investigations to determine root causes of safety, quality and performance incidents to ensure fast resolution and avoidance of repeat occurrences. You'll need to be comfortable with changing priorities and acting with pace, using your great judgment to make business-first decisions.
To be successful in this role, you'll need to have brilliant influencing skills and the ability to adapt your style to working with different team members, in order to get the best from your team. You'll need to be able to drill down in to the detail when needed but also be comfortable stepping back and looking at the bigger picture to make the right choices for the site. If you're a motivated team player with high standards and a focus on continuous improvement, this could be the role for you!
What does "great" look like?
- Leadership: Able to effectively lead and motivate site teams to deliver on objectives.
- Team Building: Able to develop a cohesive team that works effectively to deliver the team objectives.
- Conflict resolution: Able to effectively manage and resolve conflicts both within the team and with external stakeholders.
- Able to analyse and interpret data and formulate solid action plans to improve performance.
- Excellent decision making and clarity of thinking skills.
- A strength and resilience of character to drive continuous improvement across the site.
- Highly numerate and systems literate, with the ability to analyse and interpret operational data.
- Highly developed persuasion and influencing skills enabling the individual to manage and influence on all levels of the business.
- Patience in providing coaching and training to others, ensuring that information shared is understood and others feel comfortable to ask questions.
- The personal presence and professional credibility necessary to have an immediate impact with internal contacts and central functions.
- A motivated team player that is also able to work independently.
- High levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Strong active management skills: Does not shy away from or avoid positive confrontation in the event of performance issues within the team.
- Communication skills: Able to communicate using non-technical language to ensure that any issues are clearly understood by all concerned.
- Ability to operate successfully in a fast-changing environment. Keen to get stuck in and operate across functional boundaries.
- Continuous improvement focus: A strong bias towards actively seeking ways to improve the way of working, performance and levels of waste.
- Problem solving: A focused, pragmatic approach to solving problems, inclusive of and able to engage with others at all levels across the site.
- Ability to work under pressure: Able to remain calm under extreme pressure and to effectively manage the whole team in such situations.
- To embed SPIRIT behaviours into the production environment and shift teams.
- Inquisitive & challenging and does not accept poor standards.
Experience and Skills
• Working in an environment that has Health and Safety as a high priority, ideally where behavioural safety has been rolled out
• Experience within FMCG production environment and managing cross functional teams
• Able to demonstrate the successful management and delivery of improvement projects
• Able to demonstrate effective people management skills
• Fully qualified engineer preferably with experience in a food manufacturing environment.
You might also have/be:
• Familiar with RCA and FMEA techniques.
• Degree level education.