Category Buyer – Raw Materials
We’re looking for an experienced Procurement professional to join our team in the role of Category Buyer Raw Materials.
The role is accountable for delivering step change value including cost, product performance, innovation, supplier performance, risk management and ethical trade amongst day to day duties such as contract management and business projects with a significant focus on our raw materials category.
The role involves building good working relationships and the ability to influence senior leaders as well as being a strong team player.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate clear ownership for the spend portfolio, work cross functionally to deliver the plan and has the ability to apply good practice purchasing to a wide range of types of expenditure.
- To purchase direct materials including food chemicals, commodities and ingredients.
- To develop and implement successful buying strategies to deliver business requirements and specific objectives and targets within timelines as agreed
- To lead and/or represent the procurement department on specific cross-functional projects and support the Procurement team on strategic activity outside of own portfolio of spend categories.
- To represent the procurement department on specific cross-business activity with other businesses within the ABF Procurement community
- To conduct sourcing activity for categories, using the approved processes and e-sourcing platform
- To take responsibility for current and future budgets for own category areas and provide updates on category performance against these budgets.
- To ensure great supplier performance and relationship development through commercial relationships.
- In addition the role will be required to take on specific pieces of work that may be outside of their remit, to support activity in the wider Procurement team from time to time.
What does "great" look like?
- Confident approach with stakeholders, building credibility quickly but willing to listen to others
- ‘Self starter’ /proactive
- Sound judgement on decision making and when to escalate
- Good interpersonal skills and good team player, supporting within own and wider team
- Applies value for money approach in all activities
- Understands the consumer needs and seeks to fulfil these in the most cost effective manner
- Recognised for stakeholder management, used to shaping the procurement role to meet business needs
- Uses strong influencing skills and experience of dealing with a number of different stakeholders to deliver value for the business
- Operates in a manner which encourages internal consultation/communication with stakeholders rather than operating in a parochial way
- Results oriented focus ensures delivery of business benefits
- Delivers to time and quality on all projects/areas of responsibilities
Experience and Skills
• Strong Analytical and Problem-solving skills
• Achieved cost savings/service improvements using traditional and creative procurement approaches whilst maintaining service and quality
• Ability to apply good practice purchasing to a wide range of types of expenditure, showing transferability of skills and approaches and the ability to quickly identify the key drivers of a particular category/service
• Negotiating and defining contract terms
• Project management
• Category Management sourcing process knowledge
• E-Procurement methodology
• Change management