Technical Manager for a newly built bakery site
Reporting to the Site General Manager, the purpose of this position is to lead the Bardney Site Technical team providing assurance and expertise to ensure that all products manufactured by the site meet safety, quality and legal requirements. This will be achieved by developing, monitoring and maintaining the sites quality assurance, internal audit and HACCP system.
You will operate as part of Bardney Site Leadership, building the talents within a recently recruited team and the Food Safety & Quality culture that has been built in this new site. You will be playing a key role in ensuring that engagement and high levels of performance remain a priority through the ongoing operation of this state of the art new bakery. The bakery is designed to manufacture Ryvita Crispbread and Ryvita Thins products.
- You will manage and lead the site quality assurance team, setting the standards on food safety, GMP, quality management system compliance and hygiene whilst maintaining cost control.
- You will drive a quality assurance culture through the site providing specialist technical support to all functions.
- Understand, implement and review quality systems associated with the production of food to the agreed safety and quality standards. Ensure KPI’s are monitored and presented to allow identification of improvement plans.
- Ensure that a safe working environment exists, and that as a minimum, the standards set out in the SHE manual are met.
- Provide the practical support and drive to promote a Quality Assurance culture. Responsible for ensuring that all Quality policy standards and systems operate in accordance with the Company’s, BRC and customer standards and requirements, ensuring verification is in place.
- Manage effective communications with internal and external customers, suppliers and production teams to ensure all the Technical needs of the business are met.
- Understands and identifies technically related training requirements at all levels in the business (e.g. HACCP, food hygiene etc.) to ensure that all employees are properly equipped to undertake their roles.
- To act as the site crisis management Co-Coordinator and liaise with colleagues at Biggleswade and Poole sites to implement any best practices
What does "great" look like?
- • Leadership: Able to effectively lead and motivate site team to deliver on objectives
- • Team Building: Able to build a cohesive team that works together effectively to deliver the team objectives
- • Excellent decision-making and clarity of thinking skills
- • A strength and resilience of character to take the site and business to a new level
- • The personal presence, professional credibility and influencing skills necessary to have an immediate impact with stakeholders
- • A motivated team player that is also able to work independently
- • Able to communicate using non-technical language to ensure that any issues are clearly understood by all concerned
Motivated to Make a Difference
- • Ability to operate successfully in a fast-changing environment during commissioning. Keen to get stuck in and operate across functional boundaries.
- • Continuous Improvement Focus: A strong bias towards actively seeking ways to improve plant performance and methods of operation
- • Ability to work under pressure: Able to remain calm under extreme pressure and to effectively manage team in such situations.
Experience and Skills
- Food Science related degree or equivalent qualification (essential)
- Minimum 2 years Technical management experience (essential)
- Food manufacturing experience (essential)
- Thorough understanding of food legislation and nutrition (essential)
- Internal auditing ability (preferable lead assessor) (desirable)
- Process Development experience (desirable)
- HACCP Trained to Intermediate Level (desirable)
- Knowledge of Allergen, Vendor Assurance, Process Contaminants, Organic Management and working knowledge of British Retail Consortium standards (desirable)
- Project management experience (desirable)
- Experience of working with NPD and Marketing teams (desirable)
- A natural leader, authentic, a strong track record in driving quality within FMCG businesses.
- Demonstrate solid experience of successful and sustainable change management, quality development and self-managing team building